11.09.2007

South Park'd, Hiccups and Work

Here's where you can South Park yourself, have fun Dave!

My case of hiccups lasted 38 minutes. That's nothing to worry about, the world record is 68 years!

I've decided, along with Micah, to keep from illegitimate complaining. This is really hard for me, because I like to talk about my day, especially if it was a bad day, but I don't want it to feel like I'm complaining about it, but I think it comes across that way. Sometimes I have days at work that are tough to get through. (I'm a photographer for a portrait company, I work in the church directories division, and no, I don't work for the company that did the Grove's.) I do my job well, and I take great pride in that. I'm one of the best photographers in my territory. And I always try to make sure my customers are happy with their portrait even if it means reshooting their photos, if we have time. It makes me sad when people don't like their portrait because I know that feeling. (I'm not very fond of how our directory picture turned out.)
Sometimes I photograph families that are just unappreciative of the hard work I've put in to create a great portrait of them. It's especially difficult when they want to include their pets (I'm allergic to dogs.)
Last night I had a group of 10: Mom, Dad, 15 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 7 year old son, 2 German shepherds, 1 Himalayan cat, and 2 parakeets.
I did a REALLY fantastic job with them! Their portraits were gorgeous and they had a million to choose from. All the family, especially the mom, could do was pick out what they thought was wrong with them. "He didn't smile enough, my hair's messed up, that smile's fake, he head's too shiny, you can't see the dogs eyes, I just don't like that pose, her feathers look funny, I look fat, and the list goes on."
I understand that sometimes people have a difference of opinion but to stand there and insult every photo, it's really hard to take sometimes. It gets to the point where I want to say, "Just pick one for the directory and go home." The mom asked if we could reshoot them, I said it's not possible tonight (we had a few waiting,) but she could schedule another appointment. She said they didn't have time to do that, so she had to just pick one. She chose the one she looked best in, despite the fact that no one else liked that one.
I don't want this to be taken as complaining. I really do enjoy my job, most of the time. I try to be patient and treat people as if it were Jesus I photographed, but some people really test that. I'm thankful that I'm a believer because some people I work with aren't. After working with difficult, not-so-great Christian families, I understand why it's hard to understand God's love His people. It makes me kind of sad to know that families like that are holding people back from opening their heart to Jesus.

1 comment:

escamillaweddings said...

oh man, 2 dogs a cat and 2 parakeets! wth?!

you are brave! haha
must've been interesting. good thing the birds didn't fly away! :)