11.15.2007

Please voice a suggestion or opinion!

Let me just say, Quick Before Sinking was amazing tonight and I promise to give them the love they deserve tomorrow.

I have a bit of a dilemma. My Friends Thanksgiving that I've been planning is making me frustrated. I got a text message today from someone that wasn't invited, she wasn't invite because I'm not that close to her and really, I just wanted it to be the people I am close to. Anyway, she said, "Christina, I don't know if I'm invited to your thing on Sunday, but if you need food, I can send it with [censored name]. Just let me know what you need."

Now, if I was having this party at my parents' house, it wouldn't be a big deal to invite one more person, but we're having it at our one bedroom apartment. For some reason, I thought it'd be nice to have 10 of our friends, plus two of the kids, over to our beautiful new apartment. I don't even know how we're going to fit all these people in our apartment without the fire marshall coming and shutting us down.

The other issue I'm having is...it's my party, I should be able to invite who I want to, without worrying about them telling other people that are not invited. It's not that I don't like the people not invited, I'm just not that close to them. Is that wrong?

Why does this always happen? There's always someone that butthurt that they weren't invited. And they usually find out about the event from someone that I didn't want to invite in the first place. Am I always invited when they plan fun stuff? Who knows... I'm usually the one that plans the big events.

The mean girl in me is saying, "Who cares about her, just don't reply. Or reply and tell her that we'd love to have her, but we just don't have the space because [censored name] is coming and bringing their crazy children with them."

The nice girl in me is saying, "You should welcome everyone into your home, especially at this time where you're giving thanks for the blessings in your life. And by welcoming them, you'd be giving them a better impression of Christians. Maybe it'll even help them let their guard down."

Which voice do I listen to? And also, is there a polite way to tell someone not to bring their kids or do you just accept that that's their family and they're always there? The kids that are coming tend to get into things and just need so much attention, it takes away from the fun people have. I just don't know.

Any comments or suggestions are completely welcome...

4 comments:

Elissa said...

I'm going to give you a bit of advice with the understanding that I am not saying it is easy to actually DO...you are a grown woman. Make your own choice about who comes. If your friends are immature enough to make others aware of an event to which they were not invited that is NOT YOUR PROBLEM!!! Now as for the kids thing...it might be too late to "uninvite" the kids but for future reference...as a mom of four...I love getting kid free invites. Sure it takes a little more planning but if the event matters to me it is MORE than worth the effort of getting a sitter! Hang in there girl - it's your party you can (don't cry...) but invite who you want to!!!

Christina Ellis said...

I've always kind of thought it'd be nice to give parents a night out with their friends, without kids. Bu how do you politely say, "no kids."

Elissa said...

If it's a written invite I would just say "adults only" and only address the invite to the adults. If they don't catch a clue and you suspect kids are going to show anyway you tell them that you love their kids but that you wanted to make sure they know this is a grown up event. I am never offended when my kids aren't welcome...but then I'm pretty tough to offend. Oh, and the only exception I would give is to nursing babies...By the way Ella keeps talking about you today, she thinks you are VERY cool!

Christina Ellis said...

Awww, I think Ella's pretty cool too!