12.05.2006

Sacred obligation

I have a friend named Gabe, who I think is a very insightful man and a great thinker of sorts. He posted a blog recently and I loved what he had to say and just wanted to "spread the love," I suppose. I'll just cut and paste my favorite parts.

"When a man becomes a writer, I think he takes on a sacred obligation to produce beauty and enlightenment and comfort at top speed." Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

"I'd like to add that V's statement not only applies to writers and men, but to all artists from both genders. If you have that itch to make something out of the thin air that is in your head, you are responsible for acting on scratching that itch. If you don't act on a creative impulse you are not only dishonoring yourself, but all the beauty that has been sculpted, painted, and written around you which you see on a daily basis.

Go make something!"

It's so true, I just have one but to add. I really do feel that if you don't act on your creative impulses, you're insulting the beauty of the world that inspires you, and also insult the Lord from which your creativity stems. I don't know where it says it, but I'm sure somewhere God tells us to use our talents or we should have them taken away. I'm so disgusted when I see super talented people squander that talent. I'm nowhere near what I'd consider "super talented," but I don't want to ever become one of those people.

So once again...go make something!

No comments: